That one time we choose to be lax may be the one time we get blindsided by some guy with a devilish smile and quick wrists.
Someone sent me this today:
“A woman at a nightclub (Westlands, Kenya) on Friday night was taken by 5 men, who according to hospital and police reports, gang raped her before dumping her at a Busstand in Kagemi . Unable to remember the events of the evening, tests later confirmed the repeat rapes along with traces of rohypnol in her blood.…
Rohypnol,date rape drug is an essentially a small sterilization pill. The drug is now being used by rapists at parties to rape AND sterilize their victims. All they have to do is drop it into the girl’s drink. The girl can’t remember a thing the next morning, of all that had taken place the night before. Rohypnol, which dissolves in drinks just as easily, is such that the victim doesn’t conceive from the rape and the rapist needn’t worry about having a paternity test identifying him months later. The Drug’s affects ARE NOT TEMPORARY –they are PERMANENT…”
Unfortunately stories like this are becoming more common to a point women don’t feel outraged, after all they’re smarter than that and it couldn’t possibly happen to them. Sad thing is the girl mentioned probably thought that as well. I’ll be honest, there are times I let my guard down and forget the does and don’ts which I need work on. It’s important to arm ourselves with information and don’t just believe any old blog (mine included).
So if you aren’t in the know, I’ll fill you in on a few things to help you feel a little more secure and prepared for a night out.
Date Rape drugs:
First off, alcohol is the root of all evil. You need to bear in mind that while drinking isn’t a horrible crime, drinking too much can lead to bad situations. So establish your limit or maintain a 1-2 drinks maximum so you can keep a clear head.
1) Flunitrazepam (Roofies)
Also known as Narcozep, Rohypnol, Rohipnol or Roipnol. The Rohypnol pill looks like aspirin and is easily accessible.
This is the date rape drug of choice as some pills are odorless, colorless and tasteless. Newer pills are oval and green-gray in color and when slipped into a drink, a dye in these new pills makes clear liquids turn bright blue and dark drinks turn cloudy.
Once consumed with alcohol (in a spiked drink for example) it causes impaired judgement and the victim is physically incapacitated. Roofies sedates the victim and causes amnesia, muscle relaxation, and the slowing of psychomotor performance.
When used in combination with other drugs including alcohol, Rohypnol presents great risk of overdose; heart failure, coma and death.
2) MDMA (Ecstasy/Molly):
Ecstasy is a well known drug here as I rudely found out. 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine or MDMA, is a designer drug usually found at raves like the beach parties held in the coast. It stimulates the release of the serotonin from brain neurons, producing a high that can last up to an hour. Its psychedelic effects include feelings of peacefulness, acceptance, and empathy. Users claim they experience feelings of closeness with others and a desire to touch them.
It comes in capsules or pills that look like harmless candy.
‘Popping a molly’ and mixing with alcohol can increase the possibility of negative effects including sedation, dehydration, exhaustion, overheating, and heart failure. Combining MDMA with Rohypnol can lead to heart failure, coma, and death.
Ketamine was originally developed as an anesthetic for surgeries but in modern times is used mostly by veterinarians.
It comes as liquid and a white powder.
This drug causes unconsciousness, hallucinations, loss of body control and numbing. It can be found as a white powder or a liquid and has a horrible, strong bitter flavor. Ketamine causes loss of consciousness in moments so you’d only have a split second to realize your drink has been spiked.
4) GHB (Cherry Meth)
Gamma hydroxybutyric or GHB is a depressant that was developed to treat childbirth problems and anxiety.
It comes as a liquid with no odor or color, white powder, and pill. This drug is very potent, and its effects can last can last 3 or 4 hours.
This drug slows psychomotor performance and can cause mild sedation, slowed heart and breathing rates. In larger doses it can cause seizures, coma, or death.
Do’s and Don’ts on a night out:
- Drink within a set limit. It’s okay to have a slight buzz (in my opinion) but getting totally smashed will lead to trouble. 2 to 3 drinks per night is enough (if you need more than this you should just stop drinking all together and go to church)
- Keep tabs on all your drinks. If you lose track of your drink, leave it and get another. It’s not worth drinking it. When you get your drinks make a habit of having the bottle opened in front of you, checking the seal on bottled water or watching the bar tender mix your cocktail. Don’t accept drinks from strangers especially if it comes in a glass. (If you’re at a house party, mix your own drinks and steer clear of the punch!)
- Get a drinking buddy. Girls especially, go around in twos or threes to keep an eye on each other. Make sure you communicate your plans/intentions with the friends your out with at all times. You are not a ninja warrior so don’t go off to that dark parking lot by yourself.
- If you don’t feel safe or find yourself in an uncomfortable situation walk away. If you are still harassed tell a member of staff to assist you. Don’t be afraid to cause a little commotion if need be…scream to draw attention.
- If your out with someone old or new, set your intentions and boundaries and make them very clear. Understand also that if you change your mind at any point voice it and leave.
- Do not give away personal information to random ass people you don’t know like where you live, or if you live alone. Keep it short and mysterious.
What should you do if you think you have been drugged and abused:
- Tell someone you trust. It is important to have someone to support you. Remember, it is NOT your fault.
- Even if you choose not to press charges against your attacker, go get tested. Nairobi Women’s Hospital is equipped for this. They have professionals you can talk to if you’d prefer privacy.
- Do not shower or change, no matter how badly…this is important. After you get checked shower, take something hot and sweet then rest.
- Ask them to run a test for date rape drugs listed above.
- Remember that you are never alone and that even though it doesn’t seem like it right now, you’ll be okay.
Be smart ladies, and gents as well you’re not safe from this either, and have responsible fun.