When I think about cake and custard, I remember dessert time in the school cafeteria and people bartering their share for favors. I’d mix my cake in the bowl of custard and mush is all up. Yum! It’s still one of my go to cold day in desserts.
Here’s a fun way of serving your cake and custard:
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- a pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/4 cup sour cream
What to do:
- Mix dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt) in a medium-sized bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the egg and sugar until light and creamy.
- Add the butter and vanilla essence and mix until fully integrated.
- Mix in the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Add the sour cream and mix until smooth.
Then follow the instructions here:
- Fill the eggs 2/3 with batter.
- Bake them in 180 degrees Celsius for 20mins
And finally you can make the store-bought custard, or you could try Mary Berry’s Real proper custard recipe.
I hollow out the ‘eggs’, fill in with my yolk-like custard, and leave it to set then serve, or leave the ‘eggs’ as is and serve with custard as a complimentary dish.