So you have bananas but want a nice twist to them so they aren’t so dull? Make banana bites. These are simply sliced bananas dipped in batter or chocolate to turn them into tasty treats.
shallow Fried banana bites
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut/ 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons sugar (if your bananas are more on the ripe side reduce this)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 4-5 bananas
- oil for frying
NB: if you have self-raising flour, put a cup of this and DON’T add the baking powder.
- Mix the flour, baking powered, desiccated coconut/cinnamon and sugar in a large bowl, and the milk and egg in another. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ones until you have a pancake-like batter.
- Cut up your bananas into bite-size pieces.
- Heat your pan with enough oil to shallow fry the bananas.
- Dip the pieces in the batter than place them in the oil, rotating each one until all sides are golden brown, then transfer them to a rack or a paper towel spread out to get rid of any excess oil. don’t worry if they turn out wonky, they’ll still taste great!
Serve with whipped cream, honey, syrup or just as is. You could also dust them lightly with icing sugar.
Chocolate banana bites
- 3 bananas
- 1.5 cup chocolate chips/crushed chocolate
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
Watch the video for instructions: